Arizona State University: The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: School of Social Transformation
Location: Tempe, AZ
Open Date: Dec 12, 2019
The School of Social Transformation, an interdisciplinary unit at Arizona State University (http://sst.asu.edu), invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position as Assistant Professor with a specialization in Reproductive Justice. The anticipated start date is Fall 2020. We seek an innovative scholar in the humanities or social sciences with a comparative or transnational focus and a rigorously interdisciplinary and intersectional approach. Specific areas of expertise may include but are not limited to reproductive justice, reproductive health, bodily autonomy, rights/movements for reproductive freedom or critical approaches to reproductive technologies.
The successful candidate will be expected to pursue an active research agenda; contribute service at the school, university and professional levels; develop courses in the area of reproductive justice and provide high quality instruction and mentoring at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The typical teaching load is two courses per semester (graduate, undergraduate, online, etc.) and may be in any of the certificate/degree programs housed in SST: Women & Gender Studies, African/African American Studies, American Studies, Asian Pacific American Studies, Justice & Social Inquiry, or Social & Cultural Pedagogy.
The School of Social Transformation is in The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and is an innovative interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary unit that places just solutions to societal challenges at the center of its scholarship and teaching endeavors.
The College values our cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community. Learn more about what The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has to offer by visiting https://thecollege.asu.edu/faculty.
- A Ph.D. in a field in the humanities or social sciences by the time of appointment.
- Pursuit of an active research agenda related to reproductive justice leading to the publication of a number of articles or a book.
- An ability to teach or develop a range of courses in areas related to reproductive justice.
- Potential for excellence in teaching and mentoring students.
- Demonstrated interest in interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Capacity to build strong scholarly and collegial relationships with colleagues in the School of Social Transformation
- A humanities-related research agenda
- Demonstrated success in meeting the needs of diverse student populations and/or diverse communities.
Initial deadline for receipt of complete applications is January 25, 2020. If not filled, review of complete applications will continue every two weeks thereafter until the search is closed.
To apply, please submit the following materials electronically: http://apply.interfolio.com/72368
- Cover letter describing your research, teaching and demonstrated commitment to the study of reproductive justice and social transformation
- A curriculum vitae
- A transcript from the candidate’s Ph.D-granting institution
- A list of three references, including contact information
- A writing sample
- A 1-page statement explaining how you would contribute to diversity and inclusion of SST at ASU or a 1-page statement describing how your work addresses diversity and equity in your field(s) of study.
Questions about this position should be directed to Kathy Nakagawa, Chair of the Search Committee via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.